Thursday, December 28, 2006

Storage Units

Since I'm moving in just over a week, I've been thinking a lot lately about packing and storing my stuff.

Storage units are a strange thing. Most of my belongings have lived in one out in Saticoy for the past year and a half. Every time I think about it, it bothers me a little to think that there are people all over the world with nothing more than the clothes on their back and yet I own enough stuff to necessitate renting a garage-sized space in a creepy building with my best friend.

It was never meant to be a permanent thing. Just a temporary housing facility for my stuff in the midst of a bigger plan. But plan A didn't work out and I've been holding my off-season clothing hostage there ever since.

There's the dining room table that once belonged to my grandmother. I broke a leg off of it once when I had to rearrange in order to pull a dresser out from the farthest corner. But my mom would kill me if I ever got rid of the table, so there it sits. There's also the boxes full of kitchen supplies that I haven't touched since mid-2005, but someday I will want that never-been-used George Foreman Grill that is costing me a small chunk of change each month to keep it there. There's the boxes of memories from the past relationship that I don't want to look at, but can't bear to throw away yet either. And near the front I keep the boxes of clothes that I trade out for each new season, although I can't seem to find any of my sweaters or scarves this time around.

As for what else is filling space in my half of the storage unit, well let's just say that someday it will feel like Christmas when I open all those boxes to discover all the things that I forgot I owned and survived just fine without, but simply can't bear to throw away.

Maybe someday I'll finally settle down and live someplace where I can actually turn in my storage lock & key, unpack all those boxes, and not feel like I'd be turning right around to fill them again. Or maybe (and this is more likely) I'll finally just cave and get rid of all that stuff.

But until then, I'll just keep paying visits to my jailed belongings and occasionally bail out another pair of jeans or last winter's umbrella.

1 comment:

Lightning said...

I am continually filled with gratitude and surprise that you have forgiven me for everything and all pain i've caused you! As i read this it made me sick to know that i was the predominant cause of your sleeepless nights and need to move again. I'm glad that you couldn't bear to throw away that stuff from "that past relationship"! I love you!