Saturday, January 6, 2007

Road Trip - Day 1

Reporting from Flagstaff, Arizona at the end of day one...

Amazingly enough, I packed Rocky, my Civic, by myself and actually got everything to fit while still leaving viewing space out of most of the windows. Then I said goodbye, drove over the hill out of Simi Valley and picked up my dad from the Burbank airport.

Turns out Dad and I are the perfect road trip buddies! He instantly played "pimp my ride" by attaching a convex mirror to the driver's side rear-view and mounting a GPS device (that we've affectionately named Helen) to my dashboard. Helen is incredibly helpful as she feeds us such tid-bits as "In 665 miles, you will turn left" and "You have been driving for awhile. Do you need a rest?" The three of us have been having a blast together finding rest-stops, gas stations, and tracking our progress across the country.

Speaking of progress, it's been slower than we expected due to a twilight-zone experience where we got "stuck in Fontana" once again! That's right... a year and a half ago, Barak, Honeybear, and I spent about 16 hours in a Fontana parking lot during our road trip to Kentucky. Today, my dad and I spent close to two hours on the 15 through Fontana as they merged four lanes down to one. Needless to say, if I never spend time in Fontana again, I'll be okay with that.

Once we got past that slow down, it was smooth sailing from there and we were excited when we hit the 40 East in Barstow and immediately saw a sign that read "Wilmington, North Carolina - 2,245 miles ahead." No joke.

Our other highlight was when we had dinner in a hole-in-the wall diner along Route 66 in Seligman, AZ called "Westside Lilo's German & American Food." That one's for you Omi!

Well, time for bed and then I think we will be on the 40 East until about Thursday, or next month, or something... I'm not quite sure, but I'm sure Helen will tell us in the morning. Good night!

No comments: