Sunday, January 7, 2007

Road Trip - Day 2




Todays travels were about left turns, rest-stops, and a whole lotta nothing.

We finally reached the infamous "left turn" Helen had been warning us about for the past 665 miles, and it turns out it was more of a left lean than an actual turn in Albuqerque, NM. Immediately after completing this milestone of our journey, Helen informed us that there would be another left turn in 538 more miles. We predict this to be Oklahoma City, so we should reach that point tomorrow morning. Woo hoo!

Today I realized that when you're traveling cross-country, you automatically become a sort of Siskel & Ebert of the rest-stops. Seeing as I've used facilities in third world countries in the past, I always figure that nothing in America can shock me. However, I have to admit that the one thing I miss the most whenever I leave California is the complimentary toilet seat covers that are standard in all west coast bathrooms. Once you cross stateline, apparently nobody has issue with sitting on a toilet seat shared by thousands of other strangers, so I'm forced to build what Lisa Chan calls a "toilet paper throne" - but somehow it's just not the same. However, the biggest laugh came today when we actually found a voting mechanism for how you rate the public rest stop (see photo)!

Other than that, we drove due East for a really, really, really long time through AZ, NM, TX, and OK, and saw a petrified rock park, dinosaur statues, and about 75 mocassin stands. Like I said, a whole lotta nothing!

We're halfway done! Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Hey Alison!
Well, I wish I would've gotten to say bye, but I know that one day I will see you again! I love you, and I hope that this trip is a blessing for you! Enjoy the world around you! love ya