Monday, January 8, 2007

Road Trip - Day 3


Today the country girl in me got to run wild and free! I'm about a two-step away from buying an authentic belt buckle the size of Texas.
It started with breakfast at "The Waffle House" in Oklahoma. If you've never eaten at one, well, let me just tell you that it's more about the cultural experience than the taste of the food. We were just sitting there when suddenly, mid-waffle, "I'm a Redneck Woman" came blasting through the 1950's jukebox and all the waitresses went hog-wild. Yes, even I sang out loud. This inspired "country day" in the car and I forced Dad to listen to everything from Dixie Chicks to the "Walk the Line" soundtrack. In defense, he imposed Elvis on me.
Then to make country day even better, we happened to drive right through the hometowns of both Garth Brooks and Carrie Underwood! Could it get more exciting than this?? Yes, it could!
8 miles outside of Memphis we decided to spontaneously divert to Graceland and Helen went along with the plan. We exited Elvis Presley Blvd. only to be informed that you must park and take some sort of ferry or shuttle service to the actual house. So, we opted to view the Heartbreak Hotel from the outside and take a picture by a Graceland sign (see above). Let's face it, if I didn't tell you it wasn't actually in front of the house, you would never have known the difference.
And now, the icing on the cake... we are spending the night in none other than downtown Nashville, TN!! I was even surprised myself at how excited I was to be here when we pulled off the freeway, so Dad and I are going to take a few hours to tour in the morning before our last 6 hours of driving to Charlotte. I'll let you know if anything exciting happens. You know, someone might mistake me for Carrie Underwood or something...right Francis?

No comments: